The world of music and sound effects has reached a new level today. The sounds we hear in a music video or those action movies are so incredible, it makes us wonder how these sound effects even come into action. One of the awesome musical tools that are used to create such sound effects from the real and the unreal world is the Synthesizer.
Synthesizers have been around lately and are a great catch when you need sound amplification or even creation. A sine wave generator could be seen as a Synthesizer which is very basic one. If you are someone who is into music, and not just into listening, but real creation. This instrument can help you create amazing sounds and amplify the existing ones to create something spectacular.
What is a Synthesizer?
The Synthesizer is basically an electronic instrument that synthesizes or emulates a large variety of sounds or can emulate the sound from some other instrument. It can emulate sounds that already exists in the real world or the natural sounds. It can also be used to create sounds that are not present in naturally.
It can be used to generate tones which cannot be created in any other way. It can be used to create sounds from other elements like a piano or a bongo. Or it can create some totally new sounds such as a UFO landing sound. All kinds of Synthesizers have varied options and controls to offer. Depending upon the versatility required by you, you can go for the perfect one for yourself and go around creating amazing sounds and music.
Top five reasons why you need to buy a Synthesizer
For someone who is into music and its creation, he/she would understand the importance of a good Synthesizer in the best way. You may be relying on other computer software for music creation and composition. But what a hardware Synthesizer does is completely unmatchable. So, here are some of the best reasons as to why you need to buy the Synthesizer at the earliest.
- Hardware is better than software: Talking about controlling and creating music, it is seen that the software used in computers is quite good to go but with a hardware Synthesizer, you get a separate set of dedicated processors that are only meant for sound creation and emulation. Unlike other option, it doesn’t put extra strain on the host computer or its hardware. Instead, its own processor system is just enough.
- Better music: Since it owns a separate set of dedicated processors, it is effective in offering excellent sounds and music. If noted, the software Synthesizers might end up resulting in a relatively thin tone quality than a hardware Synthesizer. More power can be attributed through a Synthesizer and hence a richer tone is what the result is.
- Better control: The Synthesizer offers a better control over the buttons and the control options on the front panel. Traditionally, these Synthesizers used to accompany a large armory as a control. With the introduction of newer technology, the number of knobs and buttons have been reduced, yet providing a more flexible and effective controls on the front panel as one might require.
- Easy to use: Using a Synthesizer is not that difficult as it seems. Going through the menu and the instruction book once, you will get most of the functions and within no time, you will get a pro at controlling the sounds or even creating new of your own. This is very easy to use and can be learned quickly.
- Discover new ideas: Sometimes you might not be the one who imagines a sound in your head before you come up with one. Using these Synthesizers, you can switch them on at any time and start playing with the music and sound controls and may come up with something new. They are great for experimentation and discovering new sounds and possibilities in the world of music.
Factors to consider before buying a Synthesizer
Before going for purchasing a good Synthesizer for all your experiments with music and stuff, you need to keep in mind the following mentioned points.
- Usable: Before you lay your hands on the right Synthesizer, you need to check whether it is usable or not. By usability, we mean the operating system is feasible, the controls are easy to access and the whole layout is up to date and is convenient to follow. This is very important since usability is the most important factor that is going to prove the worth of the whole thing.
- Easy to understand manuals: When you buy a Synthesizer, you will obviously need a manual to understand all the operations and sound controls. For that, you need to check for the manuals and ensure that they are understandable. They are neatly comprised of all the basic instructions in the preferred language and contains organized diagrams for a better grasp.
- Sound quality: This would be the most obvious and the most important attribute to check. The sound quality of your Synthesizer holds the utmost importance here. Since the whole purpose of working with a Synthesizer is the creation of new sound effects and music, you need to make sure that the quality of sound it executes is excellent.
- Number of voices: When we are discussing the number of voices, a Synthesizer must be able to produce multiple sounds or noises simultaneously. When a single key is pressed, most Synthesizers use more than one waveform to create the sound that is heard by you.
- Additional sounds: Since many of the Synthesizers may not carry this option or it may seem unimportant to you, but if you want to make new music, you will need to look deep into the sound architecture and programming of the Synthesizer. Make sure it offers enough controls to make the availability of additional sounds possible and usable.
Top 4 Best Synthesizers Reviews of 2017
This is a powerful mini-keys Synthesizer by Novation which is composed of incredible performance controls. It is a perfect choice for musicians, producers or anyone who creates music with a computer. The key features of this Synthesizer are as follows.
- It helps you to tweak and warp the onboard sounds and your own voice too.
- It is comprised of the same Synthesizer engine as the UltraNova.
- It comes with 256 sounds.
- It features a fully editable Nova-class Synthesizer engine.
- It has a compact size structure.
- It can also be used a 37 key controller keyboard with MIDI I/O.
- The VocalTune and vocoder enable help the user to recreate classic vocal effects and the new voice-bending possibilities.
- It has a space to save another 128 sounds apart from the 256 sounds already available.
- It comes with a knob with the help of which you can tweak and edit sounds.
- It also allows you to animate sound with the help of 8 back-lit buttons.
- It also comes with a large knob for filter cut-off for an instant control.
- It comes with an extremely powerful Nova engine with 14 conventional waveforms to choose from.
- It contains 36 wavetables and 20 waveforms apart than this.
- It is comprised of 14 filter types, 6 envelope generators, 3 LFOs and 20 modulation slots which allow you to link modules of the synth engine together to shape the sound.
- It allows the user to add up to 5 effects to each voice including distortion, reverb, chorus/phase, delay, compressor, EQ and Novation’s unique gator effect.
- The overall dimensions of this Synthesizer are 29 x 19 x 6.5 inches.
- The total weight of this product is 8.9 pounds.
This is another very powerful Synthesizer from Korg that delivers immense versatility in sound creation and loop making. The key features of this product are listed as follows.
- It offers 3 note true analog synthesis.
- It comes with a 16-step sequencer and Ring Modulation and Delay effects for far out sonic possibilities.
- It also has a MIDI Input for note entry and an external sync and control from your DAW.
- It also contains built-in speakers and excellent battery operation that makes it ideal to play anywhere and at any time.
- It also offers a Sync In and Out function that allows clock sync of multiple instruments with Korg.
- It features a Voicing function that makes it easy to determine that how the 3 oscillators will be combined.
- It features a knob that determines one of the 6 combinations of sounds present which are Poly, Unison, Octave, Fifth, Unison Ring, or Poly Ring.
- It also comes with a motion sequence function that helps the user craft the loops and records the knob movements all over.
- It also has a Sync jack that helps you achieve synchronized playbacks with multiple voices or with a monotube.
- It can also be controlled through the iPhone using the SyncKontrol app.
- It also features a simple three-voice polyphonic analog controller.
- It is a 27 keys analogSynthesizer with a compact design.
- It comes with a 16-step sequencer with Flux mode for non-quantised free flowing loops.
- The overall dimensions of this product are 10.3 x 6 x 2.8 inches.
- The total weight of this product is 2 pounds.
This is an amazing Synthesizer by Arturia that offers brilliant performance in sound creations and music. The key features of this Synthesizer are as follows.
- It comes with a 100% Analog Audio Signal Path.
- It also features a Steiner-Parker Multimode Filter (LP, BP, HP)
- It has a Voltage controlled oscillator with a new overtone Sub-Osc, Oscillator Mixer (Sub, Sawtooth, Square, Triangle)
- It is comprised of the Ultrasaw generating shimmering sawtooth waveforms.
- It also features a MIDI In with 5-Pin DIN connector, USB MIDI In/Out, 1/4-Inch Audio Output and 1/8-Inch Headphone Output.
- The overall dimensions of this product are 17 x 10 x 3 inches.
- The total weight of this product is 4.4 pounds.
This is easy to use Synthesizer by Korg that offers a phenomenal sound quality and opens up new avenues for sound making. The key features of this Synthesizer are as follows.
- It comes with a built-in vocoder and a selectable step arpeggiator that enables the user to record new sounds without separate technological expertise.
- It also contains a microKORG’s filter that helps in processing any kind of external sounds.
- It has 37 mini keys along with a velocity sensing feature.
- It also features a 4-voice analog modeling Synthesizer engine.
- It comes installed with 128 completely editable presets.
- It also comes with 5 assignable real-time editable knobs.
- It also has an 8-Band Vocoder with a gooseneck mic.
- It comes with a Vocoder Formant Hold and Formant Shift.
- It features an interactive arpeggiator with selectable steps.
- It offers a total of 3 Effects that are Chorus/Flanger, Phaser, and Ensemble.
- It also has total 3 Delay Modes plus a 2-Band EQ.
- The overall dimensions of this product are 26 x 6 x 12 inches.
- The total weight of this Synthesizer is 8 pounds.
General gigging musicians, producers and other music lovers use these kinds of Synthesizer for all their music creations. The vast number of controls that are offered by these offer a great deal of flexibility and possibilities in the world of music creation. One can absolutely go about playing with the controls and keyboard to create new and amazing sounds and music.
From the different kinds of models available today for trying, you can look for the one that suits you the best. The best way to look for that is to check with your usage requirements. To what limits would you be willing to explore the sound creation and editing formats and how much controls do you really need. Taking all these factors into account, you can choose the best Synthesizer and rock!